Port Costa Museum & Archive Project
Our new museum in our old school building!
The Port Costa Museum & Archives Project was launched in 2019 by a group of PCCS volunteers and a San Francisco State Museum Studies Intern. We have been actively collecting and cataloging artifacts, documents, news articles, photographs, and oral history interviews. Our mission is to keep Port Costa’s history safe and accessible for the benefit of current and future generations.
The Museum is housed in the historic 1911 Port Costa School. Tours are available by appointment and include the history of the town of Port Costa; the story of the 15,000 square foot historic school building and its restoration; a step back in time into a historic classroom; and a searchable database of articles and artifacts about Port Costa and our residents.
Group tours can be scheduled by contacting Suzanne Statler – PortCostaMuseum@gmail.com A donation of $10.00 per person is suggested.
Interested in volunteering?
Our archiving project team catalogs items for the database and storage – it’s one way to start supporting the museum.
Also, we need:
Docent tour guides will be important in the next year!
If you have items to donate to the Museum, have questions or need information, please contact us at PortCostaMuseum@gmail.com
The Port Costa Museum is located at the Historic 1911 Port Costa School, 1 Plaza del Hambre, Port Costa, CA.
It is managed and operated by the Port Costa Conservation Society – a 501(c)(3). Donations to the Museum can be made through the PCCS Website Donation Button (coming soon) or mailed to PCCS, P.O. Box 36, Port Costa, CA 94569. Donations are tax-deductible.
Photo: The Port Costa Museum’s largest artifact is our 1933 Studebaker Fire Engine. It is the town’s first motorized fire engine and was purchased in 1936 with the proceeds of town women’s bake sales. It was donated to the Port Costa Conservation Society by the Crockett Carquinez Firefighters Association in 2019 and will be displayed and driven as a self-propelled piece of Port Costa history